About eleven people recently freed by Nigerian troops have been killed by Boko Haram insurgents in Gwoza area of Borno State, Punch reports.
According to an anonymous military source who spoke from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital said the victims had been taken to a location thought to be safer, while the military planned a further onslaught on Boko Haram camps in the area.
He said: “It was unfortunate that while they were kept at a supposed safer place at the base of the hill, with some (military) troops stationed there to guard them, some Boko Haram men struck on Wednesday, and killed at least 11 of the people.”
A Gwoza indigene, Ibrahim Musa, who confirmed the attack said: “A soldier friend (of mine), who came to Maiduguri with some wounded soldiers, told me about the attack because a friend of mine, known to him, was lost.
“They (victims) were slaughtered by Boko Haram. He said they came in a large number, more than the soldiers stationed to guard the people, and the soldiers had to flee for safety.”