AWKA, Nigeria — Gunmen holding prominent Anambra industrialist Chief Sir Joseph Ezeokafor have reportedly raised the price for his freedom to ₦1.5 billion, more than doubling an earlier demand as uncertainty grows over his condition.
Ezeokafor, chairman of Jezco Group and founder of Jezco Oil, has remained in captivity since he was abducted from a Catholic prayer ground in the Ifite area of Awka.
A source close to the family said the kidnappers initially demanded ₦700 million and that relatives indicated a willingness to meet the demand in an effort to secure the businessman’s release.
The abductors subsequently increased the amount to ₦1.5 billion and stopped communicating with the family, according to the source.
The new ransom demand emerged on Thursday, August 13, 2026, more than a week after Ezeokafor was taken.
Communication With Kidnappers Reportedly Stops
The family is understood to have remained willing to negotiate after the demand was increased, but attempts to continue discussions have reportedly failed.
The interruption has left relatives unable to obtain fresh information about Ezeokafor’s welfare or determine the kidnappers’ next demands.
The latest account marks a change from an earlier statement by the family, which said no contact had been established with the abductors in the first days after the kidnapping.
That statement also dismissed reports circulating online that Ezeokafor had already been released.
His family expressed particular concern about his health, saying he suffers from high blood pressure and did not have his medication with him when he was abducted.
No evidence has emerged that he has been released.
Businessman Was Abducted During Prayer Retreat
Ezeokafor was seized at about 2 a.m. while visiting a secluded Catholic prayer ground in Ifite, Awka, according to his family.
The businessman regularly visited the location for private devotion and had helped finance the prayer facility and access roads leading to it.
His relatives said he customarily went to the site without the security personnel who ordinarily accompanied him because of the religious nature of the retreat.
Armed men reportedly entered the area while he was praying and took him away.
The circumstances gave the attackers access to a businessman who would otherwise usually travel with security protection.
Ezeokafor is a prominent figure in Anambra’s business community and is associated with interests spanning petroleum products and manufacturing through the Jezco Group.
He is also the father of businessman and socialite Joseph Ezeokafor Jnr., popularly known as Jowi Zaza.
Abduction Causes Anxiety in Ekwulobia
The kidnapping has generated concern in Ekwulobia, Ezeokafor’s hometown, where he is regarded as a major businessman and community benefactor.
Reports following the abduction said activities connected with the community’s New Yam Festival were affected as residents awaited news about his safety.
His family has appealed for prayers and urged the public to disregard unverified claims concerning his whereabouts.
The reported ₦1.5 billion demand has now intensified concerns over how long his captivity could continue, particularly after the alleged breakdown in communication.
Police Yet to Give Public Account
The Anambra State Police Command has not issued a detailed public statement explaining what authorities know about Ezeokafor’s abduction or the effort to locate him.
The state government has similarly not publicly addressed the latest ransom claim.
The absence of an official account means information about negotiations has come largely from family members, associates and people claiming knowledge of discussions with the abductors.
It is also unclear whether security agencies have established the location where Ezeokafor is being held or identified the group responsible.
The reported ransom demand has not been independently confirmed by police.
No payment had been publicly confirmed as of the latest reports, and the family has not issued a formal statement accepting the revised ₦1.5 billion demand.
Ezeokafor therefore remains missing as relatives continue efforts to restore contact with his abductors and secure his safe return.





