NAN – Some traders at the Kuje Market in the Kuje Area Council of the FCT, on Thursday decried low patronage occasioned by the recent bomb blast in the area.
A cross section of the traders who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), described the situation as worrisome.
According to them, most business activities have been crippled following the attack.
NAN reports that security operatives have cordoned off the affected area at the front of the market and movement diverted before the market towards Gomo palace to AA-Rano filling station.
Mr. Fidelix Emeka, a building materials seller close to the blast scene, whose shop has remained shut since the blast, said he loses at least N2 million every day since he locked his shop.
“All shops that are close to where the bomb went off at the front of the market have been closed down for now with order from police.
“Since after the incident, I am losing close to N2 million every day; I pray the experts finish investigation on time so that we resume business fully.
“The bomb blast is an evil act and I pray that God exposes them one by one so that we can have a peaceful environment,” Emeka said.
Another trader, Mrs Hajara Suleiman, a wholesale dealer in wrappers, said she was finding it difficult to take care of her family as she loses close to N1 million every day since after the blast.
“Business is no longer moving because customers are afraid to come to the market and when it is 5p.m. everyone has gone home.
“I can’t sell in the shop for now, I supply to customers through phone calls.
“I pray that the perpetrators are brought to book and the roads open so that we can resume our business activities fully.”
A motorist, Mr John Obi, said that the lockdown of shops and restriction of movement was for security reasons and the safety of residents pending when investigation was over.
He, however, appealed to the experts to speed up their investigation so that normalcy could return in the area.
Meanwhile, Mr Yunusa Isa, the Chairman, Kuje Market Traders Association, has appealed to the affected traders whose shop had been lockdown to remain calm as the investigation was for the good of everyone.
He, however, sympathised with the families of the affected victims who lost their lives in twin bomb blasts, describing the act as barbaric.
“Some affected traders who were transferred to the National Hospital, lost their lives yesterday.
“I want to appeal to the traders whose shops have been locked down at the front of the market to be patient as investigation is ongoing.
“Security operatives are still carrying out investigation and once they are done, the shops and roads would be open.
“I also want to appeal to the security operatives to carry out the investigation within the shortest period of time, so that traders can resume their business,” Isa said. (