President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed shock over the reported kidnapping of five newborn babies in Anambra, directing that the rising crime rate in the area be reduced without any delay.
The reported kidnapping occurred at Stanley Hospital, Nkpologwu in the state.
The kidnappers were said to have picked the babies and zoomed off.
In a statement by his media aide, Malam Garba Shehu on Friday, December 9, 2022, in Abuja, Buhari expressed his concern about the strange incident, saying this case must be solved immediately.
He, therefore, directed: ”Security at hospitals must be foolproof so that attacks of this nature do not happen again.”
Panic As Gunmen Invade Anambra Hospital, Kidnap 4 New Born Babies
Gunmen have allegedly attacked a maternity hospital in Nkpologwu, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State, taking four newborn babies during the attack.
A source from the community said the incident happened on Tuesday night and was only made known to members of the community on Wednesday, December 7, 2022.
“It happened in our community, and people have been discussing it since Wednesday morning. They said some gunmen stormed the hospital (name withheld) and took away four babies from the hospital.
“From what people are saying in the community, no one was injured, and no one was killed in the attack too. The motive for the invasion of the hospital was not known to anyone.
“Some people say they could have taken the babies to sell them to childless individuals, but others say it could be for ritual purposes,” the source said.
Daily Post could not verify the authenticity of the report, as the Anambra State Police Command said it was not aware of the incident.
Toochukwu Ikenga, the spokesperson of the Anambra State Police Command, said: “I don’t have such a report before me now.”
INSECURITY: Gunmen Kidnap Ondo Monarch From His Palace
The Oloso of Oso, Oba Clement Jimoh Olukotun, in Ajowa-Akoko in the Akoko North-West Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been abducted by gun-wielding kidnappers.
According to sources in the community, the kidnappers stormed the monarch’s home on Thursday, December 1, 2022, at about 10:15 pm and took him to an unidentified location.
The kidnappers were said to have shot randomly and broken the monarch’s palace main entrance to gain entry to his residential complex.
One of the sources claimed that when the kidnappers arrived at the home, they knocked on the door and, upon seeing that the residents were not prepared to voluntarily submit, they shot at the main door and completely destroyed it.
The pellets, he said, pierced the living room’s door and wall, but none of the people within the palace were wounded.
The source claimed that no one in the town could leave their homes because of how loud the gunshots were.
“They destroyed the main door and entered. They terrorised Kabiyesi and his family members before dragging him out and took him away. None of the family members had been contacted, but we knew they were kidnappers”.
Confirming the incident, the police spokesperson in the state, SP Funmilayo Odunlami, said, “it is true, but the details of the incident are still not clear.
“Police from the Divisional Police headquarters at Oke-Agbe, headquarters of Akoko Northwest Local Government have been deployed in the town to launch investigation into the incident.”