2019: Immigration Seizes Over 700 Permanent Voter Cards From Foreigners

2019: Immigration Seizes Over 700 Permanent Voter Cards From Foreigners

By Emmanuel Cornelius | Staff Reporter on December 9, 2018
0
Muhammad Babandede, Muhammadu Buhari, Julius Berger
FILE: Permanent voter cards on the desk of an INEC official

As the 2019 general elections approaches, the Nigeria Immigration Service, NIS, has so far retrieved more than 700 voter cards from non-Nigerians, it was learnt on Saturday, December 8, 2018.

Muhammad Babandede, the comptroller-general, CG, of NIS, disclosed this in Abuja at the NIS 2018 end of the year dinner and award presentation.

Babandede disclosed that the service will be fully involved in the 2019 general elections.

He vowed that the NIS will make sure that no foreigner votes during the forthcoming elections.

“This year, we have retrieved over 700 voter cards from non-Nigerians. We will be there during elections to ensure that non-Nigerians don’t participate. We will make sure that they don’t vote and they are not voted for,” Mr. Babandede is quoted as saying.

During the election, we will ensure the borders are secured so that nobody can enter the country during the days of election. Immigration service has changed for the better.

“We have built the capacity of personnel and improved on structures and contributed to Nigeria’s security and prosperity in many ways.”

On the Ease of Doing Business, the NIS boss said the service had assisted businessmen to get visas as quickly as possible without hurdles adding that: “We have trained so many officers. There has never been a time Nigeria Immigration Service has gotten better structures than now.

“The approval of the technology building worth N7.1 billion by President Muhammadu Buhari will serve all law enforcement agencies where we will share such information online with partners. I thank President Buhari for approving the unique project for the NIS. That has never been done since inception in 1958.

“We became independent in 1963. Since that time, we have not gotten a centre to coordinate all our operations until this year when the President approved the technology building.

“Julius Berger has already started work on the site. It was launched by the Minister of Interior last week.”

On ensuring discipline and integrity in the service, Babandede said: “We dismissed many officers, retired many and reduced the rank of some other officers and will will not relent in making sure that our integrity in intact.”

Read more at Daily Post



NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.