Pandemonium currently looms among sister security agencies in rivalry, ahead of the relocation of President Muhammadu Buhari to the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Since the Friday, May 29, 2015 inauguration of the President and Vice-President, they are both yet to relocate to the State House, due to renovation works ongoing in their official residences are yet to be completed.
Vice-president Yemi Osibanjo is said to be residing in a private residence while President Buhari is currently operating from the Defence House, official residence of the President-elect.
However, the rivalry between two security agencies is in a bid to determine who will be in charge of the President’s security.
It was garnered that the cold war was between the Nigerian Army and the Department of State Services.
A reliable source from the Presidency, who pleaded to be anonymous due to the sensitive nature of the matter, disclosed that one of the close aides of the President who is a retired military officer had written to the Nigerian Army, the DSS and the Nigeria Police to send a particular number of their men to be saddled with the responsibility of securing the State House.
He stated that the head of one of the security agencies refused to take action on the directive due to the fact that the writer of the letter had not been given any formal responsibility by the President.
It was reported that the trouble started when some officials of the Nigerian Army Intelligence Corps were moved into the State House with the instruction that they be deployed in strategic positions, including the President’s office and residence.
He also revealed that the DSS officials on duty at that time refused them access into the State House until when a directive came that they should be allowed in.
The NAIC officials were said to have taken over from the DSS officials
The official said, “The NAIC officials were first driven into the Villa in a Coastal bus on Saturday, June 6, 2015 but they were turned back by officials of the DSS.
“After a series of meetings, we were later told that we should allow them in.
“So they came in on Sunday, June 7, 2015 while some others joined them on Monday, June 8, 2015.
“Naturally, it is DSS officials that are always in charge of the President’s inner security.
“But with this development, it seems they want to change the tradition and use the NAIC guys.
Another reliable source told newsmen that DSS officials attached to the State House are also currently at loggerheads with officials of a private security outfit.
The security outfit is owned by a retired DSS official who is a close loyalist to the President.
Security operatives from the firm had been working with the President Buhari long before he became the President.
However, Shortly after DSS officials arrived at the National Mosque, Abuja on Friday, June 5 2015 to cordon off the place ahead of Buhari’s arrival for the Jumat service, about 30 officials of the security firm also arrived.
The firm’s operatives claimed to have been instructed to take possession of the mosque’s premises.
The DSS officials insisted that the responsibility to secure the place was solely theirs.
“After a lot of arguments, the officals of the security outfit agreed to leave the premises for the DSS officials as they were asked to go and stand outside the premises.
“That was the second time that the scenerio played out in the mosque.
On Friday, May 29, 2015 shortly after the President’s inauguration, that was the same way men of that firm showed up at the same mosque where the Commander-in-Chief worshipped,” the source said.