The United Nations has reacted to reports of the recent killing of a Humanitarian worker in Borno State.
The Action Against Hunger, a humanitarian organization based in the North East, earlier on Friday, July 19, 2019, disclosed that one of its drivers was killed by the sect members on Wednesday, July 18, 2019.
The organization in a statement released on Friday, July 19, 2019, said the humanitarian workers were in a convoy enroute Damasak in Borno state when they were attacked by Boko Haram members. While the driver died in the attack, some other workers have been declared missing.
Reacting to the development, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, in a statement released on Friday, July 19, 2019, expressed concerns over the reported attack. He called on anyone who may have any form of influence to do everything in their power to ensure the safe return of the missing workers.
“I am deeply disturbed by reports of an incident involving aid workers from International NGOs in northern Borno. As details are still coming in and information has yet to be confirmed, the humanitarian community in Nigeria is concerned about the safety of the workers.
The community is concerned about our ACF colleague, partners and contractors involved in the attack against an aid convoy reported on July 18; on Gubio-Damasak Road.
“First and foremost, my thoughts are with them and their families. They devote their lives to helping vulnerable people and communities in an area heavily affected by violence.
“I call on all who may have influence to do everything they can to keep them unharmed and work towards their safe return. Out of respect and consideration for the families, the humanitarian community in Nigeria is also asking the general public, including the media, to refrain from sharing any unconfirmed information.
“The spread of misinformation may put the concerned aid workers at risk and jeopardise their way back to safety,’’ Kallon said.
Read more at Daily Post