A huge fire rocked the Navy Barracks in Kirikiri town of Lagos State and claimed the lives of two children whose parents were away as at the time of the incident.
The fire reportedly gutted a three bedroom bungalow, Naval Town Camp site around 3:30pm of Friday, October 16, 2015.
It was further learnt that those affected were children between the ages of 6 and 9.
According to eye-witnesses, the two deceased male children aged between 6 and 9 years old, were burnt by the fire which was stirred by electrical sparks from one of the rooms in the building before spreading to the whole apartment.
The timely intervention of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) officials stopped the fire from spreading to other buildings around.
The agency’s General Manager, Mr. Michael Akindele who confirmed the incident disclosed that the father of the children is a naval officer adding that both he and his wife were not at home as at the time of the unfortunate incident.
He said: “It was also gathered that husband a naval officer and the wife were out of the State when the incident occurred, unfortunately, two male children between the age of 6 and 9 were burnt to death.”
Akindele said that the family’s nanny, known as Patience rescued the first child Ayomide, 13, before they were rushed to the Naval Hospital for treatment and examination after they were treated on the spot by LASAMBUS, according to Leadership.
The corpses of the deceased children were subsequently deposited at the Naval Hospital Kirikiri.
Akindele said his men conducted proper checks on cables and electrical installations to avoid unnecessary loss of lives and properties adding that preliminary report revealed that the fire was caused by electrical spark from one the room in the building before spreading to the whole apartment.
Although the LASEMA boss further reinstated that a further probe would be carried out to ascertain what actually stirred the fire.