Islamist militant group Boko Haram is in talks with the Nigerian government to release more than 200 girls abducted six months ago and negotiate a cease-fire to a deadly insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives, VOA reports.
The Islamic extremists abducted more than 200 girls from Government Secondary School, Chibok on April 14, 2014. The terrorists have held them captive since then.
VOA claims “an adviser to Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan and a man calling himself the secretary-general of Boko Haram told VOA Thursday that discussions are under way in Saudi Arabia, aided by high level officials from Chad and Cameroon.”
According to the source, Boko Haram’s Danladi Ahmadu, who is in Saudi Arabia, said the girls are “in good condition and unharmed.”
The conditions on which the kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls will be freed was not elaborated.
President Jonathan’s senior special assistant on public affairs, Doyin Okupe could not confirm the said talks in Saudi Arabia but said that the Nigerian government continues to “explore all options to bring the girls home,” including “behind-the-scenes efforts of which the public is not aware.”