#WarOnTerror: Scores of Terrorists Killed As 20 Women, Children Rescued From Sambisa...

#WarOnTerror: Scores of Terrorists Killed As 20 Women, Children Rescued From Sambisa Forest

By Seyi Peters | Staff Reporter on May 24, 2015
0
File Photo: Nigerian soldiers

NAN – The Defence Headquarters on Saturday, May 23, 2015, said scores of Boko Haram terrorists had died and 20 more women and children had been rescued during a military operation in Sambisa forest in Borno, on Friday, May 22, 2015.

This is contained in a statement by the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen Chris Olukolade.

”Despite continuous encounter with large number of land mines which still litter the Sambisa forest, troops have forged ahead with the ongoing offensive operations as scores of the terrorists died in the assault on their bases on Friday,’’ Olukolade said.

He said several of the terrorists’ weapons and equipment perished during the encounter.

According to him, over 10 soldiers were, however, wounded, while one died, following explosions of land mines along the routes of advance.

He said some equipment were also damaged or affected by the detonation of land mines in several points in the forest.

”A total of 20 women and children were rescued at the end of the Friday operation.They have all been airlifted out of the forest.

”The wounded soldiers have also been moved out for necessary treatment.

”Two major ammunition dumps maintained by the terrorists in the forest were also destroyed, along with the four additional terrorists camps that were smashed in the operation of Friday,’’the defence spokesman said.

He added that an armoured tank and over 10 vehicles of various types being used for terrorists operations as well as 70 motorcycles and 15 tricycles had also perished during the operation.

He said air and artillery bombardment of identified terrorists camps and locations in various parts of the forest, including the Alafa aspect, were still ongoing as troops continued the offensive against the terrorists.

Olukolade also said that a cordon-and-search operation around Bitta, Borno, had been intensified following an incident where two young boys were wounded after picking up a grenade from a refuse dump.

The weapon is believed to have been abandoned by terrorists that fled the town that is not too far from Sambisa forest.

He said aggressive patrols and surveillance by land and air were also being maintained in the general area.

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.