TRAGIC: Cousin Of Former President Jonathan Found Dead After Kidnapping

TRAGIC: Cousin Of Former President Jonathan Found Dead After Kidnapping

By Wires | The Trent on February 20, 2016
0
The Nigerian president Goodluck Ebele Jonathan speaks during a press conference German chancellor Angela Merkel during an official visit to Germany in Berlin. (Photo Credit: Kalle Kopone)

A cousin to former President Goodluck Jonathan, who was kidnapped together with his father Chief Inegite Jonathan, was found dead in Otuoke, Bayelsa state on February 19.

Relatives said that the fishermen found the body of Samuel Oki, 35, that was floating in Otuoke river, two days after the kidnapping.

Premium Times reports that the state’s police spokesman, Asini Butswat, was aware of the report, but could not immediately confirm its details. He said he was working to receive updates from the divisional police officer in charge of the area.

Fishermen rose fears about the safety of the ex-president’s 72-year-old uncle, whose location remains unknown. A family member of the deceased, Igbogamini Paul, said they believe that a gunshot they heard during the kidnapping was targeted at Oki.

The locals said local fishermen found the body and attached it by the shore to prevent the body from being carried away by water currents. The body had been carried out to the morgue in the area.

The abductors have yet to establish any contact with the family of their captive since Wednesday. Butswat, police spokesman confirmed the incident saying that the police still trailing the kidnappers.

“On 17th February, 2016, at about 03.30hrs, seven unknown gunmen abducted one Inengite Nitabai at his residence in Otuoke, Ogbia Local Government Area.

“A massive manhunt have been launched by a combined team of Marine Police and Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Command, to rescue the victim and arrest the abductors.

“Investigation is ongoing,” he said.

Oki alongside with his father were snatched away from their residence in Otuoke, Ogbia local government area, Bayelsa state, on February 16. Nitabai was first kidnapped on February 23, 2014 during the administration of the ex-president.

via Naij

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.