Liberia discharged its last confirmed Ebola patient on Thursday, March 5, 2015 as it reported for the first time in nine months it had gone a full week without any new infections, Vanguard reports.
The survivor, Beatrice Yordoldo who was confirmed by the government as the last carrier of the disease said she never believed she would survive it.
Her discharge from the Chinese-built Ebola Treatment Unit (ETU) in the Paynesville suburb of the capital Monrovia wasgreeted with joy from all and sundry including medical officials.
She said, “Today I am very grateful to the almighty God and the Chinese ETU, and all of the Liberian nurses that are working with them. I did not know I could make it.”
According to World Health Organization, WHO, almost 24,000 people have been infected with the virus since December 2013, all but a handful in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, and 9,807 of them have died.
Among the records, 9,249 cases including 4,117 deaths were registered in Liberia, which six months ago was reporting more than 300 new cases each week.
WHO’s report in the late hours of Wednesday, disclosed that the country “reported no new confirmed cases” during the week to March 1.
No positive case was recorded out of 45 samples tested nationwide last week, the WHO said, adding that it was first time there had been no new confirmed cases since May 26, 2014.
The most recent outbreak of the Ebola Virus has been referred to as the deadliest since the inception of the disease.
Nigeria, which was among the affected countries was declared Ebola-free on October 20, 2015 after combined proactive measures from the government and the entire citizenry.