Nigerian troops on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 carried out a daring counter-insurgency operation in Sambisa Forest, Borno State, rescuing about 200 girls and 93 women from the Boko Haram enclave.
The Defence Headquarters while confirming the rescue operation said it could not be ascertained if the rescued girls are the Chibok schoolgirls abducted over a year ago.
Confirming the development, the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Col S. K. Usman, speaking via a statement said: “This is to inform you that our gallant troops have been making progress in the desired aim of ridding the nation of terrorists and their sanctuaries.
“It is heartwarming to inform you that today (yesterday), troops continued the offensive and cleared four key terrorist camps in Sambisa forest, Borno State. So far, they have destroyed and cleared Sassa, Tokumbere and two other camps in the general area of Alafa, all within the Sambisa forest.
“The troops have also rescued 200 abducted girls and 93 women. They are presently being processed. Similarly, a number of equipment and weapons have been captured. We will send further details and photographs soon.”
Also speaking on the operation, the Director of Defence Information, Major-General Chris Olukolade, said the rescued are being screened and profiled, promising to provide details later.
He said: “I can only confirm the rescue this afternoon (yesterday) of 200 girls and 93 women in different camps in the forest. We are yet to determine their origin as all the freed persons are now being screened and profiled. We will provide more details later.”