This is to inform the general public that there will be a peaceful and peoples organized protest in the city of Port Harcourt next week, Thursday, April 14, 2016.
This protest is aimed at driving a strong citizenship position against the inability of the Federal government to address the burning perennial fuel scarcity, zero MGW/total lack of electricity amidst increased tariff, incessant/fraudulent bank charges on poor Nigerians among other serious economic matters.
We believe the government has exhibited gross ineptitude and incapacity in its dealings. Thus, it has continued to play the blame game on the past Goodluck Jonathan administration as a coverup to its failures which is a betrayal of its promises to Nigerians during the campaigns and elections that brought it to power.
Thus the attitude of a travelling President in a travailing country can no longer be acceptable. Therefore we want to use this mass protest to creatively challenge and engage the government on what Nigerians want and how they want their future to be like.
Some of our major objectives are:
1. To pressure government to solve the biting petroleum and power problems without any further delays or excuses.
2. To press home the demand for a quick review and investigation of the fraudulent/incessant bank charges made against the banking public.
3. To demand for a practical/ working economic policy direction by the Federal government as a way of reviving this current economy that is almost brought to a halt.
4. To exercise citizenship rights towards ensuring that government binds itself to do the bidding of the people.
5. To put government on check and challenge it legally, lawfully, peacefully, creatively and pro-actively in its program for the masses, particularly in line with the promises it made on party platform on its way to power.
6. To drive and motivate an active and conscious citizenship participation in governance. Hence, to give the citizens a VOICE and SAY in the activities of government,
The protest which is tagged OCCUPY NIGERIA SEASON 2 will involve people from various civil society organizations including Civil Liberties organization, NANS, market women groups, student unions, Labour, Social media activists and several other professional bodies and interest groups.
FOR OCCUPY NIGERIA SEASON 2.