The Nigerian Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 reportedly recalled about 4,000 soldiers who were previously dismissed for different units across the country.
The rejab of the soldiers was done as part of the on going onslaught on Boko Haram insurgents in the North Eastern part of the country. It was gathered that the soldiers were previously dismissed by their commanders for alleged cowardice and other offences.
A senior military officer who made the re-absorption known under the oath of secrecy said the commander did not have the authority to summarily dismiss the soldiers.
He said: “The Defence Headquarters has ordered the rejab of about 4000 soldiers who were accused of cowardice and other offences against military rules and were summarily dismissed.
“Most of them are infantry soldiers from different military units. “One of the reasons for the well-intentioned action of the Defence Headquarters is because the summary trial, in the first instance, was ultra vires; beyond the powers of the various unit commanders.
“Under Section 124 (6) of the Armed Forces Act, Cap A 20, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria (LFN) 2004, the commanders do not have powers to try such offences like cowardice and other related offences summarily.”
Attempts to contact the Director of Defence Information (DDI), Major General Chris Olukolade for official confirmation proved abortive as he was out of reach.