No fewer than eleven people including five Boko Haram insurgents, five officers and one police informant have been killed in an early Monday, June 29, 2015 raid in Chad.
According to AFP, the police had launched an attack against the Islamist jihadist militants in a district of the capital N’Djamena. The police spokesperson said that they had seized several suicide belts during the operation.
This raid comes on the heels of a June 15 twin suicide bombings that were blamed on the invading armed insurgents from Nigeria. 33 people were left dead in the attack in N’Djamena and was the deadliest attack of its kind recorded in the city.
Prior to the raid, the Chadian chief prosecutor, Alghassim Kassim had announced “the dismantling (of a Boko Haram cell) and the arrest of 60 people” as investigations into the suicide bombings commenced. “A terrorist cell was identified and taken down. Sixty people were detained,” which included Nigerians, Chadians, Cameroonians and Malians.
According to Kassim, revealed that one of the three suicide bombers in the June 15 attack had been identified while the other two were being checked out. The attackers were all killed by security operatives in action.
He said; “The debris left by the kamikaze bombers enabled us to determine that the terrorists were wearing specially-made explosive vests in black fabric. Fragments (of the bombs) collected at the scenes of the attacks are identical.”
The June 15 bombings had been targeted at the police headquarters and the police training school in N’Djamena and according to the prosecutor, 101 people were wounded in the attack. SOme of the people who were injured in the attack are still reportedly in the hospital.
The bombings were blamed on the Boko Haram insurgents even though the militant group did not take responsibility for the attack.