A truck drove into a crowd at Bastille Day ceremonies late Thursday, July 14, 2016 in Nice, France, killing dozens of people, Regional President Christian Estrosi tweeted. French President Francois Hollande has called the attack “an act of terror”.
Here’s what we know:
• Regional president, Christian Estrosi tweeted, “It’s the worst tragedy in the history of Nice because more than 70 victims already are to be deplored.”
Il s'agit du pire drame de l'histoire de Nice car plus de 70 victimes sont déjà à déplorer.
— Christian Estrosi (@cestrosi) July 14, 2016
• The attack happened on Bastille Day, a major holiday in France. Victims had been watching fireworks on the beach and were walking down a promenade, either back home or to their cars.
• “Horror has again struck France,” President Hollande says after
#Nice attack. He was quoted as saying by the BBC that “operational reserves” will be pressed into service along with the Army and other security forces, with special focus on the borders.
He acknowledged on Thursday that “all of France is under the threat of Islamic terrorism.”
— Bloomberg (@business) July 15, 2016
• U.S. President Barack Obama’s office issued a statement condemning the terror attack.
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) July 14, 2016
• One witness said the truck driver appeared to accelerate toward his victims
• The driver was killed by French police, authorities said.
• Eyewitness describes
#Nice attack that killed at least 80: “Kids thought it was fireworks”
— ABC News (@ABC) July 15, 2016
• CNN reports death toll as 84.
• Latest scenes in Nice: French media reports say local police are treating incident as attack.
— Sky News (@SkyNews) July 14, 2016
Go to CNN for live updates: